[plug] portmap: unrecognised service

Bruce Fountain fountainb at switch.aust.com
Thu Feb 7 10:05:06 WST 2002

Hi guys,

I am new to this list. I have been using unix on and off for over a
decade, but I am still on my L plates with linux and I have very little
sysadmin experience.

I am running Mandrake 8.0, which installed without hassle. After install
I rebooted several times without problem, but lately I am seeing the
error "portmap: unrecognised service" on boot. The system hangs
for about 10min and then continues. System runs fine - mail, web
access, ping, ftp all work okay.

Where should I look for service configuration? I don't see any mention
of portmap in MandrakeControlCentre->System->Services.

Best regards,

Bruce Fountain (fountainb at switch.aust.com)
Senior Software Engineer
Union Switch and Signal Pty Ltd