[plug] WASP?

The Thought Assassin assassin at live.wasp.net.au
Fri Feb 8 13:56:21 WST 2002

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Bret Busby wrote:
> I see - so now the WASP people are out to get me.

I am not a WASP person. This email address (on someone's personal machine
that is no longer even connected through WASP) is what I used when I
subscribed to PLUG, so that is the From: address from which the list
server accepts my emails.

> On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, The Thought Assassin wrote:
> > That looks to me exactly like you don't have dig installed.
> > If you don't recognise that after several years of using bash, then I
> > think it is time for you to give up on using Linux.

> The meaning was simple, and, I would have expected even you to be able to
> clearly understand it.

I did understand it. That was why I suggested the second option that you
give up on using internet discussion forums.

> The syntax as given, did not work on my system. I sought clarification.
> It could have been a syntax problem <or>
> that the package was not part of the installation <or>
> that a normal user does not have privilege to execute the command.

And you know how to tell which one it is. You don't need to ask on the
list: You will not get the answer as quickly, nor will you learn as much.
The only thing asking on the list achieved was to irritate. As I said:

> > If you did recognise that and were just trying to cause irritation,
> > then I think it is time for you to give up on using Internet
> > discussion forums.

> So much for the PLUG mailing list being a forum for learning about Linux,
> and, for trying to understand problems relating to using Linux.

That is exactly what it is. Please help keep it working efficiently by not
filling it up with needless inflammatory crud like that in question.

> As said in previous message, obviously, different rules of conduct apply,
> for different people on the list.

No they do not.Anyone behaving like you get treated like you.
Noone here behaves like you Bret. Have you not noticed that yet?

> That is unfortunate, as I have, apart from the response above, received
> some constructive responses to the query,

Rubbish. There has been no information given that you could not have found
quicker yourself if you had refrained from wasting the time of others.

> and, one, significantly, that involves the possibility of using
> apt-get on RH Linux.

Which has already been mentioned on the list, and which you could have
found far faster by searching for it if you really wanted.

> Given the reputability of apt-get, that is a quite significant
> devlopment,

Doubt it will work on your older RH version, though. :(

> It is unfortunate that you were too involved in your attitude problem, to
> bother trying to be helpful.

I am trying to help you Bret.

You will get much more out of any resource if you learn to use it
correctly. The PLUG list is no exception. Do you want the few subscribers
you have not yet alienated to stop answering your questions? No?
Then learn what kind of behaviour will keep them happy.

-Greg