[plug] debian install

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Fri Feb 8 15:34:42 WST 2002

Wayne Vovil wrote:

> Hi

Welcome to Debian, we hope you enjoy your stay.

> I hope you PLUG Debian people are ready to receive about 3,903 questions from me as I attempt my second run at installing Debian 2.2r2. On the first run, there were so many things that I didn't even understand the question, let alone the answers.
>
> Firstly, when I boot from the cd, it seems to think it is a recovery diskette. And even though I have both PCMCIA slots occupied, it says "as PCMCIA is not needed, do you want to uninstall it?"!!!

The bootimage on the cd is of the recovery disk, so that is quite normal.

Hmm it's been a while since I did a clean install on my laptop so I don't
recall what happened with pcmcia. Perhaps tell it not to un-install the
package.
First thing I do when installing a new system as soon as gcc is installed
is recompile a vanilla kernel and pcmcia packages from raw source.
It's not at all hard and often the debian pcmcia package gets out of date
pretty quickly.

> Do I need to install SAMBA Server, if I only want to acces my FAT partition from linux, and sometimes connect to my other machines' FAT partitions? Or is this only needed when someone else needs to access MY linux box?

No, you use the fat or vfat filesystem to access local fat partitions and
smbfs to access files on windows boxes over the network.

Sorry I could not help with the language question.
Keep 'em coming though.

--
Brad....
                   /"\