apt-get for RH 6.2 - was Re: [plug] WASP?

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Feb 8 15:39:59 WST 2002

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, bob wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Feb 2002 12:59, Bret Busby wrote:
> > Ah, yes, but, how do I get apt-get to install on RH 6.2?
> >
> > :)
>
> http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=apt%2Dget

I have been to that web page, and, some Linux distributions are shown,
but, not Red Hat. The web page appears to have packages mainly for the
Conectiva distribution, which is based on RH, but, assuming that the
packages would be compatible (and, that the RH rpm would work, to allow
installation of the package that way), I do not know how to determine the
compatible RH distribution

It seems to therefore be unavailable for Red Hat, as an RPM.

I have searched on google, and, the most likely candidate appears to be
freshrpm.net, but, going to that home page, returns just a page with
headings that go nowhere.

Given past problems with Red Hat RPM, is there a .tar.gz file for apt-get,
for Red Hat, that allows it to be installed on Red Hat? Using a .tar.gz
file method for installing applications, appears to be the most reliable
way of installing applications on Red Hat 6.2, from my experience.

--
Bret Busby