[plug] debian installed - where to now?!

Anthony Jones ajones at clear.net.nz
Fri Feb 8 22:55:57 WST 2002

On Friday 08 February 2002 22:24, Wayne Vovil wrote:
> Hi
>
> Well Debian 2.2r2 is installed on my DELL Latitude C600 notebook (850 Mhz,
> 25kMB RAM, 10GB HDD, DVD). It didn't recognise my Video card, and asked if
> it should make VGA16-X the default (I said no).

The best thing to do is to look at the xfree86 site and see if you can find
some info on your video card. What version of X are you trying to install?

> I have PCMCIA cards, one of which is Kingmax 56k Fax/modem (other is Xircom
> 10/100).
>
> My LILO does not recognise my W2000 partition (I uncommented lilo.conf in
> etc part about other=/dev/hda1 ....).

You have to run lilo after editing lilo.conf.

> Do I just try to coonect to debian mirror site and do what?

Yeah.. all you've got to do is put the correct lines in your
/etc/apt/sources.list

I use:

deb http://ftp.iinet.com.au/debian woody main
deb ftp://ftp.iinet.com.au/debian/debian-non-US woody/non-US main

but you'd probably want (evil) contrib and non-free

If you've got a dialup connection then you may as well use both the net and
the CD's. It will automatically pick the latest from both. Also you might
want the potato security updates source as well (I don't remember what it is
and I'm too tired to try to figure it out for you).

> My brain is disfunctional due to using distros that do everything including
> wiping your bum (or is that whipping!!!).

Debian requires a bit of fiddling to get going but once you get it going it
just stays going.

> I need a Debian mentor that is powered by the provision of free beer....

I am willing to help you if you want to email me off list. I don't think I'll
have time until at least Wednesday.

Anthony