[plug] C programs using /etc/shadow

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Sat Feb 9 20:15:26 WST 2002

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 08:01:32PM +0800, John Breen wrote:
> Has anyone done any C programming under Linux (debian) that uses the
> /etc/shadow file?  All the info I've been able to find suggest that I
> need to use the libshadow.a shared library, but I can't seem to find
> what package contains it?

root at cartman [09/Feb 20:07:16] ttypts/2 !1 /home/pete/Mail # apt-cache search shadow
libapache-mod-auth-shadow - An Apache module for authentication using /etc/shadow
libnss-db - DB Name Service Module
libnss-mysql - NSS library for MySQL
libradius1 - /bin/login replacement with RADIUS. Shared lib to used by programs.
libradius1-dev - /bin/login replacement with RADIUS. Header file and link lib.
libshadow-ruby - Interface of shadow password for the scripting language ruby.
passwd - Change and administer password and group data.
quadra - multiplayer puzzle game
radiusclient1 - /bin/login replacement which uses the RADIUS protocol for authentication.
sipp - create and render 3-d scenes
xutils - X Window System utility programs
yardradius - YARD Radius Auth/Acct Server
lasg - Linux Administrator's Security Guide
ettercap-plugins - Miscellaneous plugins for ettercap

...but otherwise I don't know.

Oooh, maybe I do now... have a look at:

http://www.debian.or.jp/Lists-Archives/debian-users/199706/msg00057.html

which has exactly the question (and answer) you're looking for.

In Japanese, unfortunately[0], but I understood from the illustrative
shell excerpts that it's basically contained in (ie. part of) the C
library (ie. glibc).

Have a look through the glibc documentation. Not that I've ever looked
through that myself, but that's where it should _logically_ be. Ahem. :)

> TIA
> John Breen

Pete.

[0] ...but it is cool to see galeon render Kanji.
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/
Your mouse has moved.  Windows must be restarted for the change