[plug] Apache/Perl - Recommendation

Ryan ryan at prodigital.net.au
Sun Feb 10 17:20:11 WST 2002

>I am trying to run an app that uses perl to create its web interface

Just a recommendation you might thanks us for in the future if Perl and CGI
become a major part of your life:

I don't know what exactly you are making, but it's best to learn this stuff
early - unlike me.

Before you go down the path of bad programming practice with Perl and HTML,
have a serious look at the modules CGI::Application and HTML::Template or
one of its variants.

CGI::Application provides an object interface to structure your CGI
application providing very efficient mechanisms to handle multiple
'screens' in your application.  It also works well with HTML::Template and
makes maintaining code a comparable dream.

HTML::Templates enables you to use templates with variable tags embedded,
allowing you to separate your Perl and HTML code.

Since discovering these I can't talk them up enough, they have saved my life :)

- libcgi-application-perl - Framework for building reusable web-applications
- libhtml-template-perl - HTML::Template : A module for using HTML
Templates with Perl

Ryan