[plug] Windows X-client

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Mon Feb 11 13:34:00 WST 2002

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 01:01:09PM +0800, Peter Wilsmore wrote:
> People,
>   This is slightly OT

Oh well, as long as it's only _slightly_ offtopic. I mean, we have
dreadfully high standards for ontopicness here, you know.

*grin*

> but does anyone know of a free low priced X-windows client for windows.

A _client_ that is free and _also_ low-priced... hmmm, hmmm.... :)

God I'm a prat today :). Okay, just read the below and then you can
ignore me.

Okay, well a year ago I would have said the same as Wayne, try the X-Win32
demo (time-limited) app, it is pretty damn good.

However, I can now strongly recommend the Cygwin XFree86 - which is, quite
literally, a port of XFree86 to Windows using Cygwin. In fact I'm using it
right at the moment and it's great.

Go and have a look at

  http://www.cygwin.com/xfree/

and follow the very very good "downloading and installing" directions.

Feel free to ask me if you need any help - but do post questions to the
list if you can. I'm sure others would appreciate seeing both the questions
that you might ask in the process of installing it and the answers
(assuming I or others on this list can answer them).

> thanks,
>   Peter

Pete.
--