[plug] what's a hacker?

Jacqueline McNally jacqueline at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Mon Feb 11 14:53:50 WST 2002

At 02:21 PM 02/11/2002, Psyphen Codewalker wrote:
>I've been hearing many interpretations of the term "hacker" recently and
>was wondering what actually defines someone as being a hacker.  Some sort
>of technical definition would be nice, but not essential.

From:
http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/jargon.html#hacker

"A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and how
to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to
learn only the minimum necessary."

This is the one that I like best, but there are other closely related
definitions if you follow the link.

All the best
Jacqueline
http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/users/zenryaku/