[plug] what's a hacker?

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Mon Feb 11 14:51:39 WST 2002

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 06:21:31AM +0000, Psyphen Codewalker wrote:
> I've been hearing many interpretations of the term "hacker" recently and was
> wondering what actually defines someone as being a hacker.  Some sort of
> technical definition would be nice, but not essential.

As always, RTFD (the D is for dictionary, people):

http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/hacker.html

Hackers are not to be confused with crackers:

http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/cracker.html

(this type of cracker does not go well with cheese or dip)

--
 Leon Blackwell                | A jury consists of twelve persons
 http://www.lostrealm.com/     | chosen to decide who has the better