[plug] what's a hacker?

Andrew Pamment apamment at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 11 15:01:47 WST 2002

Psyphen Codewalker wrote:

 > Very funny.  But since I write in C (or Java) and have been involved
  with computers for more than a decade, does this mean that I'm a
 > "hacker"?  Or should I attempt to break into a secure network to achieve
 > that type of status?  :)

i dont think it's a real word is it? i mean in the context of computers?
i'm proberly wrong all the

--

- Lord of the Rings is boring. There is a distinct lack of giant robots
in it. Good movies have giant robots, bad movies don't. -james

 > > with computers for more than a decade, does this mean that I'm a
"hacker"?
 >   Or should I attempt to break into a secure network to achieve  that
 >  type of status?  :)

i dont think it's a real word is it? i mean in the context of computers?
i'm proberly wrong all the clever english people may have decided it
could be a word. so, call yourself what you like.

i think of hackers as clever people who solder there own ide interface
for their amiga 500, but, a hack is a rented out horse, or someone who
sucks at something. but it's also coughing. generally un nice things.
it's like when you cut something. i think hacker means both. someone who
breaks things for excitement and curiosity.

i been coding for 12 years too, but i'm not a hacker. i'm quite content
with the loser tag.

andrew