[plug] Testing CD-ROMs under VMWare

Bernard bernard at blackham.com.au
Mon Feb 11 22:20:01 WST 2002

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 10:06:42PM +0800, Craig Foster wrote:
> 1) Does the provider of the ISO images provide an MD5SUM for the image?

I am the provider of the ISO image :)
Sorry I should've mentioned, I'm creating the images - fiddling with
different ways of making my own universal rescue disk.

> 2) is this under linux or (tsk) winDOS, as under windows, you can use
> daemontools - which will mount an ISO as a drive, and VMWare for Win works
> that way.

Tis under linux. I've tried making a loopback device, but VMWare
whinges about it not being a real cd-rom device.

> PS Before you flame for me mentioning windows, even my Win machine loads a
> VMware of Linux for testing purposes...

My ultimate dream - MacOS running Virtual PC with Windows, running
VMWare with intel linux... Purely for fun, when I can afford it ($$$
and CPU wise :)

Back on topic - a friend of mine just suggested I try bochs which is
an "Open Source IA-32 (x86) Emulator" - not quite as good as VMware
yet, but is free and will boot ISO images. Problem solvered, though
if anybody has ideas about VMWare I'm still searching. If anybody is
interested in bochs - bochs.sourceforge.net.

Thanks for your quick response Craig!

Rgds,

Bernard.

PS. I recently found this out and thought it was quite cool - sf.net
is an alias for everything at sourceforge.net. So much shorter to
type! (eg bochs.sf.net instead of bochs.sourceforge.net) CooL!

--
 Bernard Blackham
 bernard at blackham.com.au