[plug] bash: making cd persist after script has run

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Tue Feb 12 09:53:04 WST 2002

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Colin Muller wrote:

> > I can really recommend reading the bash manual. There are so many useful
> > things like that to discover.
>
> Point taken - I'd done a man bash (sounds like violence GBH) but had

That wasnt an "RTFM". For a lot of programs, it makes sense to just use
the manuals just for reference. But the shell is a special case that
deserves cover-to-cover reading, even if you have been using it for years.

> somehow missed this. Thanks to you and all the others for three quite
> different approaches, all enlightening, and all of which achieve what
> I'm after.

But which is best? :-)

--
  "For every fatal shooting, there were roughly three non-fatal shootings.
   And folks, this is unacceptable in America. It's just unacceptable. And