[plug] Fonts

Bruce Fountain fountainb at switch.aust.com
Mon Feb 11 16:25:18 WST 2002

Hi guys,

I have this niggling problem with fonts on my Mandrake 8.0 installation.
Most fonts seem to display fine, but one (I think it is the "fixed width") is
almost unreadable - the characters look like they have been machine
gunned and punctuation disappears completely. Unfortunately
konquerer uses this font a lot (netscape doesn't).

I run KdeControlCentre->LookNFeel->Fonts. "Fixed width" is set to
"adobe-courier 14 default". If I click on "Choose..." for this font the
ControlCentre just hangs until I kill it. After that I can no longer launch
applications (get an error "could not resolve lastChanceFont", or
something like that). Rebooting fixes it, restarting the X server might, I
can't remember.

I may have broken the fontserver by trying to install new fonts from
the MandrakeControlCentre (as root). Last time I tried it hung X
completely and I had to hard reboot.

Any suggestions? Pointers to an explanation of how fonts are handled
generally?
--
Bruce Fountain (fountainb at switch.aust.com)
Senior Software Engineer