[plug] Short connect time problem.

Ryan ryan at slowest.net
Sun Feb 17 13:01:33 WST 2002

I have had similar only-connects-on-the-second-go (tm) troubles in the
past.  On iiNet's advice I adjusted some MTUs etc and eventually (probably
for other reasons) it fixed itself.  Some of my problems were partly causes
by authentication problems at iiNet's end (a few years ago).

As with most perplexing hardware faults, if whinging doesn't fix it, the
answer is a process of elimination:

  o  try someone else's modem
  o  try someone else's phone line
  o  try someone else's account with a different ISP.

      (and all variations of the above)

  o  try someone else's b0x3n with your modem, phone line and account
      (as you said no changes were made to your box that YOU know about,
       and security upgrades could have made your box paranoid)

Staring at logs all day can only achieve so much.

Ryan.