[plug] Linux in libraries

Richard Henry r.henry at murdoch.edu.au
Sun Feb 17 13:42:48 WST 2002

I'm the second person you spoke to at Murdoch. :-)  As to the first person
saying we would need to stock other software as well if we had linux, I am
relatively sure they actually had nfi what they were talking about.

I personally don't see any problem with having a couple of CDs of each of
the main distributions at least (Debian, RedHat, Mandrake) on our shelves,
and if I had actually thought of it before I probably would have suggested
it. :-)  I'll definitely pass on the idea on Monday.

As to why we don't have it already considering the university has units
which require a home installation, it's more a case of us not being asked by
the departments to stock it.  We just need to know there is/might be a
demand - with stuff like this, as long as we aren't breaking the GPL, I
can't see there being a problem.  Then again, I'm not the person that makes
the actual decision.  :-)

Richard. (Library IT Support, Murdoch Uni)