[plug] Linux in libraries

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Sun Feb 17 14:25:40 WST 2002

On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, Richard Henry wrote:

> I'm the second person you spoke to at Murdoch. :-)  As to the first person
> saying we would need to stock other software as well if we had linux, I am
> relatively sure they actually had nfi what they were talking about.
>
> I personally don't see any problem with having a couple of CDs of each of
> the main distributions at least (Debian, RedHat, Mandrake) on our shelves,
> and if I had actually thought of it before I probably would have suggested
> it. :-)  I'll definitely pass on the idea on Monday.
>
> As to why we don't have it already considering the university has units
> which require a home installation, it's more a case of us not being asked by
> the departments to stock it.  We just need to know there is/might be a
> demand - with stuff like this, as long as we aren't breaking the GPL, I
> can't see there being a problem.  Then again, I'm not the person that makes
> the actual decision.  :-)
>
> Richard. (Library IT Support, Murdoch Uni)
>
> > On this subject, I just contacted the library at Murdoch
> > university to enquire about Linux (an external unit I'm doing
> > this semester requires it), but they do not keep any
> > distributions for lend. The first person I spoke to seemed to
> > be aware of the GPL and the freeware status of Linux, but
> > said that if they stocked Linux they would have to stock a
> > range of other software as well. I'm not exactly sure what
> > that means. They did seem keen to help and the second person
> > I spoke to even canvassed the possibility of downloading me a
> > copy, if a local mirror could be found, but considering the
> > fact that the institution offers units that require a home
> > installation of Linux, you would think they would maintain at
> > least one distribution on the shelves.

Okay; first question; in which unit are you enrolled?

Second question - have you read the externals study guide, and, if so,
does that mention obtaining a copy of Linux?

I have completed the units B227 Data Communications and B338 Computer
Systems and Network Management. Both units used Linux, and, for both
units, CD's were available from the IT teaching department.

As for the person who said that, if the library stocked Linux, it would
have to stock other software, the library has stocked other software,
which has been available for loan.

I suggest that you contact your unit co-ordinator, if you do not already
have Linux, to find whether the OS CD is provided by the department,
distributed to external students.

Apart from the OS CD having been available from the IT teaching
department, for external students, the Java SDK CD was provided to
enrolled students, for the unit B306 Software Architecures, from memory,
Perl was available to be provided to external students, and internal
students, for the unit B211 Internet Computing, and, so, software can be
provided by the teaching department, for external students.

I have also had a software CD provided by the maths dept, for a maths unit
in which I was enrolled externally.

So, once again, check your external study guide, in the unit
resources/requirements section, and, if that does not mention that the OS
CD will be provided to external students, send an email to your unit
co-ordinator, asking whether the OS CD will be provided to students. I
believe that you will find that the IT teaching department will provide
the CD to students enrolled in the unit - either automatically, or, on
request.

I am not saying that it would not be a good idea for the library to stock
Linux, only that you should be able to obtain a copy of the OS CD, from
the IT teaching department.

--
Bret Busby