[plug] PLUG @ Mudrock

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Mon Feb 18 16:48:27 WST 2002

On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Jonathon Bates wrote:

> Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 14:43:20 +0800 (WST)
> From: Jonathon Bates <batesy at batesy.net>
> To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
> Subject: Re: [plug] PLUG @ Mudrock
>
> > There seems to be quite a few Mudrock University people on the list. I'd
> > be interested in organising a SoR workshop at Murdoch if there is
> > sufficient interest. Or perhaps some other useful OSS activity like a
> > monthly installfest for newbies or a lecture or whatever people might be
> > interested in.
> > Anyone else think this a good idea? Or is it a fizzer?
>
> Yeah it could be a bit of a goer! :)
> Really depends on who organises it I guess!
> I can ask my bosses if they don't mind having such a thing in the library.
>
> Cheers
> Batesy

I believe that better locations than the library exist. Depending on the
numbers involved, one of the classrooms/tutorial rooms, or, something like
that, might be better. I think that people lugging computers in and out of
the library, might not be appreciated, apart from other reasons of
practicality.

I had enquired into the possibility a couple of years ago, and I was told
that some specific academics in the IT teaching department would support
having PLUG meetings on campus. Also, other people, one of whom has
unfortunately now retired, Roger Atkinson, had voiced their support. I had
spoken to a number of staff at Murdoch, both inside and outside the IT
teaching department, and, subscribers to this list, and, people who were
not subscribers to this list. Apart from students at Murdoch, there have
also been staff at Murdoch, whoc have been subscribers to this list.

At the time, a request would have had to have been made to the Facilities
Management department, in the Chancellory Building, for permission to so
use the university facilities.

--
Bret Busby