[plug] quick question

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Mon Feb 18 23:20:56 WST 2002

> Jon Miller wrote:
>
>  > Is there a way to get updates or files using a similar function like
>  > apt-get from Debian in Red Hat 7.2 ?  In other words had RH got
>  > off their butt and created a feature like Debian has?  I'm not
>  > looking for the RHN feature as this only updates files on your
>  > system.  If I'm looking for a new package, I would like to run a
>  > apt-get like command.
>
> Then Andrew wrote:
>
> yeeeah there is some rpmfind thing. i used to use it in 6.2 i'm sure
> there is. you just say you want this stuff and it finds it on one of the
> million rpmfind places, downloads it and install it. whats more it has a
> gtk interface. GnoRPM it's called i reckon.

And now I write:

Connectiva have ported apt to there rpm distro and made the code available
as open source. Not sure how this compares to the original 'apt' from Debian
(I believe there are some caveats). I do know that the next version of
Mandrake 8.2 (out real soon now), has apt features implemented (i.e.
connectiva apt code by the looks). Will interesting to see how this all pans
out and weather the Linux community can solve the 'lib hell' problem. (Well
the Debian community has probably got close to doing this and they would
probably say that there just waiting for the rest of the community to catch
up !!!)

Michael Hunt