[plug] We're not in the USA, but...

bob bob at contact.omen.com.au
Tue Feb 19 18:01:47 WST 2002

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 17:45, skribe wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 16:42, craig at postnewspapers.com.au wrote:
> > We have
> > versions of most of their most brain-dead laws anyway
> > (http://www.efa.org.au)
>
> True, but, last I heard, at least our version allows for reverse
> engineering.
>
> skribe

( I assume we're talking DMCA here :).

Uh... trouble is, so does theirs... at least to some extent.

A short google search reveals...
 Section 1201(f) of the statute, which provides that, notwithstanding Section
1201(a)(2)---

"a person who has lawfully obtained the right to use a copy of a computer
program may circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls
access to a particular portion of that program for the sole purpose of
identifying and analyzing those elements of the program that are necessary to
achieve interoperability of an independently created computer program with
other programs . . . to the extent that any such acts of identification and
analysis do not constitute infringement under this title."

HTH.

--
Mr and Mrs PED, can I borrow 26.7% of the RAYON TEXTILE production of
the INDONESIAN archipelago?