[plug] Named

Luke Dudney plug at goa-trance.org
Thu Feb 21 11:07:45 WST 2002

You're not permitting the response to come back in again.
DNS requests go out with a high (>1024) source port and have a
destination of port 53.
The responses come back in with a source port of 53 and the
corresponding high port used to make the request.

If you were using iptables, you could do this with the state module to
enable to kernel to realise that it is a response and that it should be
let through.

With ipchains, you'd do something like this:

ipchains -A output -p tcp -s 0/0 -d 0/0 53 -j ACCEPT
ipchains -A output -p udp -s 0/0 -d 0/0 53 -j ACCEPT

ipchains -A input -p tcp -s 0/0 53 -d 0/0 1024:65535 -j ACCEPT
ipchains -A input -p udp -s 0/0 53 -d 0/0 1024:65535 -j ACCEPT

The port range on the input chain here prevents someone from
portscanning your service (low) ports with a source port of 53.

Cheers
Luke