[plug] Bootup services

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Tue Feb 26 09:13:19 WST 2002

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Brian Tombleson wrote:

> When entering runlevel X, all the scripts starting with 'S' in the directory
> /etc/rcX.d/ are executed with the argument 'start'
> When leaving runlevel X, all the scripts starting with 'K' in the directory
> /etc/rcX.d/ are executed with the argument 'stop'

That would seem logical, and Andrew said a similir thing, but a quick look
in the /etc/rc* directories shows that is not the case at all. Rather
than matched pairs of S & K, its either one or the other.
  The 'init' program actually knows nothing about these links and rc*
directories - they are a messy hack (IMHO) added by SystemV. From init(8):

CONFORMING TO
       Init is compatible  with  the  System  V  init.  It  works
       closely  together  with  the  scripts  in  the directories
       /etc/init.d and /etc/rc{runlevel}.d.  If your system  uses
       this  convention,  there  should  be  a README file in the
       directory /etc/init.d explaining how these scripts work.

Nice to know there should be a README, but Mandrake doesnt have one.
Does Debian?
  The program responsible is /etc/rc.d/rc . Does this have any
documentation? No man page. It is a script though, so can be read.

--
  "For every fatal shooting, there were roughly three non-fatal shootings.
   And folks, this is unacceptable in America. It's just unacceptable. And