[plug] Bootup services

Andrew Pamment apamment at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 27 09:44:16 WST 2002

Mike Holland wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Andrew Pamment wrote:
>

> Maybe not for shutdown, but they do need to be explicitly shut down
> for single user mode. ie they should have a K link in /etc/rc1.d .

how many services do you start in single user mode? just curious?

>>you don't see all the Kxx ones you expect to see..
>>

> such as ... ?

hmm. my rc links *are* a mirror image of K ones and S ones. curious. my
goodness. thats strange. if i start my computer and it enters runlevel
4, it's going to start all my services and then shut them down again.
how productive.

but then, maybe i was right.

take for example alsasound. i wasn't using a shut down script for that
for ages. then i decided it was a pain unmuting my sound everytime i
started up. so i set one up.

what about gpm? i never shut that down with a script. is that evil?
maybe, but it doesnt seem do anything damaging.

i dunno, i've had enough of this. you live in your world and i'll live
in mine. i don't care if i'm wrong, maybe i am. who knows, but until you
actually read something, this is going to go no where.

here is some links:

an overview of init.
http://www.linuxsa.org.au/meetings/1997-07/init/init.html

a specific overview of System V init - take careful note of the example.
http://www.penguinmagazine.com/Print?article=0018&page=1

i don't have a debian system (maybe debain is perverted, who knows), but
i think System V is supposed to be a standard (thats why it's called
System V - it's based on UNIX System V - It came out after UNIX System
IV.) why don't you post your rc script seems obviously you've read it,
understand it, and it works in a completely different way to mine, i'll
see it and think oh my, i was wrong and i apologise mike. I lead you
astray, after all, i am human too and prone to errors.

andrew

--
If you want to know what God thinks of money,
    just look at those he gives it to.