[plug] OT: WAIA Fighting Spam ?

Daniel cottmain at yahoo.com.au
Thu Feb 28 11:11:06 WST 2002

For a brief moment I considered getting further behind with my studies and
attending the recent WAIA meeting about policies against spam, and then I
remembered my industry friend's perspective~
While technically easy to initiate a system that can be personalized by
each user to effectively bounce spam or even to adopt spambouncer.org
stratergy, it may initiate huge costs for the isp in bandwidth and even
more in time with confused uneducated (litigious?) users who fear they have
lost mail.
Best to make a good sounding policy and disapprove of spam strongly, and
gather with other isps who are just as disapproving and hence equally as
respectable.
Was it sort of a quango for perfecting frowning on spam or have is that an
injustice - are they actually going to do something tangible?
Cheers,
Daniel.