[plug] Debian support for newest CD Writers

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Wed Jan 2 11:29:58 WST 2002

Beau Kuiper wrote:

> On Friday 28 December 2001 18:12, Harry McNally wrote:
>
>>I'm looking at CD Writers at http://www.austin.net.au and reviews in
>>http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/01q4/011213/index.html and Linux
>>compatibility at http://wt.xpilot.org/cgi-bin/winni/lsc.pl
>>
>>Has anyone bought a recent CD Writer and set it up under Debian Woody ?

Yep!! I did a bit of research (read reviews, etc...) and it came down to
an LG drive (16/10/40) and a Yamaha drive (24/10/40??). Although the
Yamaha was overly swanky (gotta love variable-rate burns - not gear
changing, but smooth altering of burn speed!), I settled for the LG
drive, at about $180.

I've been very impressed with this drive! Built-in burn protection (no
software tweaks needed), good support for different modes, etc, etc...
Runs very quietly, too (esp compared to my Pioneer DVD-ROM ^_^;;).

I haven't tried copying fancy copy-protected stuff, but from what I
read, it has the capabilities required to do so.

I use gcombust for most of my burning (creating from content, not
duping). Anyone have any other recommendations for feature-filled GUI
burners?

>>Am I right in thinking the emulated SCSI commands haven't changed and it
>>should kick into life anyway ?

Yep! Once I got the Fake SCSI stuff working, everything worked first go.

>>Any other monumentous (cavernous ?) pitfalls with these gadgets ?

Don't burn at 8x from content over a 10Mbit network. ^_^;;
It was an interesting experiment, actually, sitting there watching the
buffer slowly empty, not quite keeping up. Interestingly, the burn died
at about 400Mb, had thousands of FIFO being empty errors - but the disk
looked like only 400Mb had been written (looking at the physical etched
part), and the content that WAS written was readable with no errors or
speed/seek problems. Only mystery is why did it stop? Perhaps the
software gave up after all the errors...

> The only downfalls are:
>
> 1) The drive gets awfully confused if you cancel a cd burn using control-C,
> requiring a reboot.

I had the same problem, so I suspect it's a driver issue, rather than
the drive itself? (Luckily, I was doing it with a CD-RW burn. ^_^)

> 2) You need to eject the disk after a simulated write to make the drive work
> correctly.

Not sure if mine is the same - I rarely bother with sim writes, and the
burner seems to auto-eject to reinitialise itself as needed.

I found http://www.cdrlabs.com/ to have really informative reviews on different drives.

: CWIS Systems Administrator     -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :