[plug] security related articles

Craig Foster fostware at iinet.net.au
Thu Jan 3 19:12:51 WST 2002

Wanna NEWBIE Toolkit?

For lots of modem users, I have portsentry running... You simply set
it to DENY using ipchains or DROP using iptables the IP that scans
your ports. Block all but your web and mail, and let portsentry grab
anyone who scans for other stuff (like port 111 (sunrpc), 1080 (socks
should be internal only), and 53 (unless you run a live DNS server in
which case you don't set this kinda thing up))

It's small and the main downside is nasty people who use nmap to spoof
your router or upstream DNS server (ie portsentry will block all
traffic to your ISP's router, killing your connection) To guard
against this, I config the ppp-up script to reset the blocked IPs

Be aware that any moderate server would not take kindly to this type
of program.

Regards,

Craig Foster