[plug] simple Apache Q

Sol solhanna at dingoblue.net.au
Fri Jan 4 22:26:53 WST 2002

Hi guys,

I've just been getting stuck into learning some PHP and would like to do
more experimenting on my box. So I read some docs and apt-got
apache-perl plus the php4 modules so I could parse .php pages locally.
However, when I tried to connect to http://localhost/ I was refused.
Investigation led me to (the bleeding obvious) conclusion that the httpd
wasn't running. "apachectl fullstatus" told me that this was because the
"ServerName" in httpd.conf had not been set. I was tempted to change
this to "localhost" or my localhostname but the docs told me not touch
this unless I knew what I was doing, which clearly I don't. ;-)
I know that this is supposed to be a proper, registered name and IP
address for machines serving the internet, but is there a simple way I
can get this serving locally so that I can save pages to /var/www and
parse them to the browser client?

Thanks,

Sol