[plug] KaZaA for linux

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Sun Jan 6 09:21:45 WST 2002

On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 04:49:41PM -0800, Wayne Vovil wrote:
> Hi
>
> Sorry I can't suggest anything myself. But could you tell me what Kaza is
> and what you mean by "in its own chroot"?

http://www.kazaa.com/

Shocking page, does a sodding browser version check with Javascript *roll
of eyes*[0]. Had to turn off Javascript to look at the page. God I hate sites
that do that.

I think it's essentially a "peer-to-peer" filesharing program. Much like
Napster or Gnutella clients, but uses its own protocol. For a brief
comparison between Kazaa and a couple of alternatives Google gave me:

http://www.speedclock.com/kazaa-aimster-bearshare/

man chroot

Essentially, chroot ("change root") is a way to run a program in a fake
"root" directory. A useful security technique - it means the program will
not be able to access anything outside its given "root". Can be a good idea
for certain network services... and for any program you simply don't trust :).

> Wayne

Pete.

[0] "You need to download a version 4 or later browser." Well shit, good
thing I looked at your page, I'd never have known otherwise. :-]
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/

--
There are two ways of constructing a software design.  One way is to make
it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies and the other is to