[plug] Gigbyte Motherboard

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Tue Jan 8 14:53:00 WST 2002

I've been pretty happy with MSI motherboards, I've got MSI boards in all 3
of my computers (two Athlons (1.2 and 1.4) and one Celeron 400).
Incidentally enough my work computer (Athlon 600) has an MSI motherboard in
it too and its run flawlessly also.

The only problem I've had with any of them was the MSI K7T Pro 2A, I run an
Athlon T-Bird 1.2 on it and to keep it cool enough I had to put a heatsink
with a 7000rpm Delta fan onto it.  The power consumption of the Delta was
too much for the motherboard fan power connectors to handle and the CPU fan
connector died (rest of the board works fine), thats why most heatsink + fan
combos with high speed fans (6000rpm+) now come with separate adaptors to
run them directly off of the power supply.

You could probably get an MSI K7T Turbo that will run your Duron from Austin
for $215 (that board is almost the same as the K7T Pro 2 I've got).  I've
heard mixed things about Gigabyte motherboards.. some good, some bad.

/ Ben