[plug] PLUG Logo

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Tue Jan 8 21:45:13 WST 2002

At 12:59  8/01/02 , you wrote:
>On Tue,  8 Jan 2002 19:28, Harry McNally wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to make it say P L U and G still in the groovy seventies
> > style so it can have breaking wave shape-ness ? Please discard post if this
> > is a dumb idea or it's been tried (and discarded as a dumb idea :-)
>
>Not a dumb idea by any means.  We just couldn't get it to work.  In fact the
>PLUG element has been the damn hardest thing in creating a logo.  Plugs just
>aren't....well...sexy enough for a logo. Which leaves us with either a geeky
>(bad!) logo, or a rather abstract connection to PLUG Inc.  That's why we
>added the wave.  I think it almost works (for something like a t-shirt), but
>for a logo I'd recommend we just go with Tux: board rider and forget any
>reference to a plug in the logo itself.  We can write PLUG, Perth Linux
>Users' Group or whatever in different fonts depending on how we're using the
>logo.  YMMV.

Yep. That sounds pretty reasonable. J and I were yakking away about this
very subject and (all graciousness to Leon) wondering why, because PLUG is
PLUG, that we have to somehow jam a plug in.

This got to some pretty obtuse ideas about SLUG needing Tux to, well,
slither around on yer garden variety, and wondering what a BLUG might be
:-) :-) (that was both of us)

IN FACT, and this was only after one Coopers each, mind (thank goodness),
we wondered whether Tux  couldn't be stand-up boogie boarding on yer easily
recognisable bathroom variety bath plug. Yeah I know but Hey ! it might
work. Remind me not to accept a job in advertising :-)

But yep, the boards very cool well .. red .. hot then .. but a thought ..
given Leons approach of a background, could Tux return to a black, white
and yellow guy _if_ a suitable background makes him Mr Max Contrast .. so
to speak ? Just another neuron misfiring .. :-)

Good work

cu
Harry