[OT] Golf (was Re: [plug] Plug membership drive?)

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Thu Jan 10 16:05:11 WST 2002

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Harry McNally wrote:

> At 07:36  10/01/02 , batesy wrote:
> ><snip>
> >... perhaps have a charity golf day, where alot of the linux users and
> >supporters around
> >Perth have a best ball comp or something. Teams of 4.
>
> Eeeek. With the mention of gLoF I'd rather revert to stereotype. Quick,
> where's that Skinny Puppy CD ? Oh .. the horror the horror.
>
> <spot the golfer .. not>

Ahhhh you should switch to perl Golf.

The required program is hole.
The number of characters in your solution is your "strokes"
par is either the best score so far or the scaore at which you've had a good
punt.

ie
Hole:
print the forest 10 lines of a text file.
You may NOT write to STDERR.
You can assume the the data desn't contain NULLS
You're code must (intheory work on a TCP stream).

(a) Solution:
#/usr/bin/perl -p       (" -p")      = 3
11..exit                ("11..exit") = 8

par=11 (I don't think that can be beaten) (Not my code, either)

It's _far_ more fun than wacking a little white ball arround and getting
sunburnt.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein