[plug] MD5 convert

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Thu Jan 10 17:28:59 WST 2002

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 09:36:31AM +0800, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:

> When you install you get asked if you want md5 support if you say "no" then
> you don't get it.  Makes sense to me.
> What Brian was asking was
> "Opps I said no!  How do I now change that to yes?"

Maybe it works like this now but it certainly never used to.  What he
actually asked was how to make it use the MD5 crypt() to hash passwords
when doing checking if you haven't selected to create new passwords
using this.  He actually said that the hashes were already in existence.
Given that the prefix of the hash identifies what sort of crypt() to
apply, it shouldn't really matter for the purposes of authenticating
what the system is configured to use for new passwords.  It's pretty
stupid if it doesn't work like this now since it means passwords hashed
by different crypt() algorithms can't coexist on the same system.

--
DSA 0x0EC1D28C: BBCB 0D79 4EBB 078A A066  7267 8BED E9D6 0EC1 D28C