[plug] discounts and sponsors was: plug membership drive?

Jacqueline McNally jacqueline at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Thu Jan 10 20:47:32 WST 2002

At 03:07 PM 01/10/2002, Leo wrote:
>On Thursday 10 January 2002 14:36, Jacqueline McNally wrote:
> > Similarly, for the Cottage Gardener's Circle. I was the membership
> > secretary for 3 years and the looking after the sponsors task was under the
> > auspices of the membership secretary as the sponsors were provided with a
> > complimentary membership for the year ($12).
>
>It's always nice to see people volunteering like this! (-:
>
>Cheers; Leon

[jacqueline] 1. Awareness 2. Advocacy 3. Action. I think we are still
somewhere between step 1 and  step 2. :) Having said that

At 05:33 PM 01/10/2002, skribe wrote:
>I can't do the leg work for the discounts but I'm sure there are enough
>members who'll take one step forward and start hassling people for
>discounts once we've got a card.  I'm right aren't I PLUGgers? Right?
>Right? <echo> =).

[jacqueline] May I suggest that we channel this enthusiasm into a more
coordinated approach. Particularly if there are common interests and we are
likely to be hassling and badgering the same shop or group. Also, as I said
in a previous email, contacting people for discounts related to Linux,
computers and the Internet is a foot in the door for potential sponsorship
if and when required for the linuxconf2003.

[jacqueline] PLUG probably needs to establish a relationship with potential
sponsors and maintain the list and keep in regular contact with the people
offering the discount. This is so that we can avoid such things as members
requesting a discount, and the merchant declining for whatever reason. I
would be happy to do this for PLUG, i.e. coordinate PLUGgers "hassling",
exchange letters with merchants and maintain the list. Just like we have
agonised over what members get for their $10 membership fee, sponsors are
going to want to know what's in it for them.

Let me know what you think.

All the best
Jacqueline
http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/users/zenryaku/