[plug] editor

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Sat Jan 12 22:34:56 WST 2002

Having just responded to another Wayne question without realising it was
the same guy, I've now just realised I discovered some moderately useful
information for this question in the process of answering the latest one[0].

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 04:52:57PM +0800, Peter Wright wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 05:31:04PM -0800, Wayne Vovil wrote:
> > Thanks for that! But I am REALLY after something more professional and
> > intuitive. Let's use C as an example. I want to type:
[ ... ]
> > In other words, not only keyword completion; but more than that (call
> > it parm prompting etc.
[ ... ]
> > Also it would be nice to have context sensitive scoping. By that I
> > mean, using an OOP language, you would have a drop-down list of object
> > references available that were valid for the current scope.
>
> I just don't think that any IDEs (and I really doubt any pure editors) on
> Linux supply this sort of language-and-developmentenvironment-specific
> feature as yet - though I'd be happy to be corrected on this point. More
> recent editions of KDevelop or KDE Studio Gold may.

I'm happy to discover via screenshot evidence that KDE Studio Gold does in
fact provide something very close to this feature:

http://www.thekompany.com/products/ksg/_img/081.png?PHPSESSID=4e9a02d94676e03646aa7525a2abd44b

I just tried it in KDevelop for the sake of completeness and KDevelop does
_not_ appear to have this feature (at least the version I was using, 2.0).
However, it _does_ have a very very nice right-click-on-function-and-look-
at-manpage option, except the manpage is rendered in some very spiffy
display widget.

If it wasn't for the fact that I don't really like IDEs, I'd probably use
this. :)

Pete.

[0] I can write legible sentences sometimes, really. :)
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/

--
Klingon programmer sayings:
3. "A TRUE Klingon Warrior does not comment his code!"