[plug] Wireless LAN questions (time for a Milo break)

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Sun Jan 13 10:33:31 WST 2002

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 09:40:19AM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> I have a client with two offices about 300m apart and AFAICT not quite LOS. I
> presume that this would be duck soup for a couple of well-aimed Milo tins,
> but would like commentary from the Milo-tin gurus before pronouncing upon the
> topic.

It depends on how non-line of sight they are. I can get 400 metres
from milo tins through some trees. I can't get the 2.5 kms that I am
after though like this. Options are to actually purchase some good
directional anetannas, use come converted Galaxy dishes (which, while good,
are for a slightly higher frequency, IIRC), or to add a
power amplification to the signal (which scares me with microwave).

> If it comes down to trying it out, are there a couple of Milo tins and
> associated LAN card within reach?

Contact me off list.

> What do the cards etc cost apiece?

11 MBit radios: $250 ea or so.
PCMCIA <-> PCI/ISA Bridges: $150 ea or so.
Pigtails to plug into radios: $60 ea or so.
5 Mtr run of LMR 400 cable to go from p/tail to antenna: $60 ea

Milo tins/Galaxy antenna converted: priceless

PC on each end: Looking in todays papers, Pentium 100 - 200: $150 ea
Best Operating System in the world: $0

Total per end = $670 + time to configure.

 James
 (who has just got his version of the above both running 2.4.17 + devfs
 + ext3)
--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.james.rcpt.to
 Australian Debian Conference: http://www.linux.org.au/conf/debiancon.html