[plug] I killed Woody :(

Nathan D natdan at pobox.com
Sat Jan 19 13:40:43 WST 2002

Howdy All,
I'm looking for some tips from the multitude of Debian Experts :)

I have had 2.2r3 running on my Samba Server for some time and have upgraded
this box to Woody and a 2.4 kernel running ext3.  Apt-get is a wonderful
thing so I have blown away RH on my own machine and put a base install on
using the 2.2r3 CD.  The upgrade to Woody was painless and then I started
on loading the required X packages.  Realising my Logitech USB mouse was
not configured, I got the GPM package and wrongly configured it.  This
totally killed my ps2 keyboard activity and left me unable to do
anything.  A 'nasty' reboot also brought me back to a dead keyboard.
Trying to access my box from other machines I found I was refused access as
root and a user (did I actually add 1?) using SSH, telnet and ftp.  Next
trick was to access my linux partition from 2k using Explore2fs and after
reading all the warnings about enabling write mode, I proceeded to delete
/etc/gpm.conf.  Now I need a rescue disk to boot into linux and I get a
kernel panic when I do.  I also get access violation errors when trying to
use Explore2fs so can't seem to rescue the .debs that I d/loaded.  Yes I
only created a / partition.

So now I am looking for tips from those who may know -
1.  Is it possible to save my packages?
2.  Recommended partitioning for a desktop machine with 4.5Gb to play with.
3.  Recommended upgrade path potato -> woody, ie a fully working potato
with X, then upgrade vs a potato base and upgrade from there?

regards,
   Nathan

.  natdan at pobox.com .     /     \
.  Western  Australia  .  -> \_,-._/