[plug] getting telnet access

Craig Reynolds reynoldscraigr at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 21 08:47:01 WST 2002

thanks for the info. I have no plans to use root, just wondered how it could
be done if needed or wanted. Security in my case shouldn't be much of an
issue since the box is behind a Linux server at the moment anyway.

>From: Leon Brooks <leon at brooks.fdns.net>
>To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
>Subject: Re: [plug] getting telnet access
>Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 07:32:33 +0800
>
>On Sunday 20 January 2002 23:27, Craig Reynolds wrote:
> > For future reference, what needs to be done to allow root to log in
> > remotely?
>
>First, a good stiff dose of Scotch to help you cope with what inevitably
>happens when you send stuff like passwords around the net in plaintext.
>
>Hint: the nearest Windows box can become a listening post in an instant;
>just
>read the wrong email or visit the wrong website. Allowing root to log in
>direct makes it at least twice as easy for Joe Random Cracker to get in and
>do damage. Do not rely on IP-based security, IP addresses can be spoofed.
>
>Then, if you're still wanting to do this, try man -k telnet and see if
>there's a man page for your telnet daemon (usually either telnetd or
>in.telnetd); generally, you can add a switch to xinetd's invokation of it.
>With SecureSHell, there's an option in /etc/ssh/ssh_conf called
>PermitRootLogin which you set to Yes.
>
>Cheers; Leon

©raig ®eynolds
"Just Because this is never going to work is no reason to be negative!"