[plug] Re: Re-attaching to GUI apps (Terminal Server comparison)

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Mon Jan 21 22:12:15 WST 2002

On Monday 21 January 2002 09:21, Peter Wright wrote:
> There is one particular advantage over X11, though, and that it that you
> can disconnect your "remote desktop" connection and reconnect at a later
> date

You can do that using an X tool (OTTOMH it's called xx) and the virtual
display driver. Not as seamless but it works.

You can make a viable LTSP node out of a P100 with 8MB of RAM. Try that with
Terminal Server. (-:

You can run 20 or 30 normal business users off a mediocre LTSP box with 1GB
of RAM. Try that with Terminal Server (and no, I don't mean open 30 empty
copies of Word, I mean do real stuff). Try that with Terminal Server. (-:

Suggest running your main SQL database on the same box and see what the
Microserfs have to say about that. (-:

If you run most of the the apps locally (ie diskless workstations with real
CPU and RAM), you can get maybe a hundred real users up on a not-too-exciting
Linux server (maybe dual P3/1000 with 1G). Try that with Terminal Server. (-:

Perhaps most telling of all, the total licencing cost of any of the above
scenarious is $0 with Linux, $ghasp with Terminal Server. Put the money you
save into better boxes (a GeForce 3 is about the same price as a W2K licence;
a decent Yamaha sound card is about the same price as a TS seat on top of
that; an extra 128MB of PC133 SDRAM is about the same as an MS-SQL seat - or
swap 25 Internet Connector seats for a SCSI RAID array or a couple of extra
CPUs. And so on).

Cheers; Leon