[plug] debian - bootup problem

Bernard bernard at blackham.com.au
Sun Jan 27 15:11:20 WST 2002

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 03:18:25PM +0800, Anne Busby wrote:
> I have a debian machine that when it boots - all looks ok and
> login prompts appear, but
> when I try to login this message appears "System bootup in progress -
> please wait". I can login as root, but not as a user. The box has been up
> for 3.5 hrs and the messages is still appearing.
>
> The last change was installing postgresql 7.1 from deb packages (using
> dpkg).
>
> Any ideas of where to look to find out what is happening ???

I can say it's probably a file called /etc/nologin that's preventing
you from logging in. Given that the machine has booted up you can
safely delete the file, but as to why the file was put there I can't
offer any insight into. Try deleting this file and rebooting, and if
it comes back and the same thing happens then something is probably
dodgy about the postgresql installation or startup script.

HTH,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham