[plug] postgresql

Ryan ryan at prodigital.net.au
Sun Jan 27 19:49:36 WST 2002

>I installed SuSE 7.3 Prof; but I noticed that postgresql was not
>installed, so I did an update install of it (Yast2). When I like at the
>installed packages, it's there; but I can't seem to execute it, and it
>doesn't appear in any KDE menus.

By itself it doesn't do anything visual, it just serves.  You need to
install postgresql-client to obtain utilities such as the interactive SQL
terminal 'psql'.  There are also some GUI clients that I don't use and
therefore can't remind you of their names.  psql probably won't show up in
any menus either, it's an interactive command line tool.  Maybe it is
already installed?

http://www.au.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.1/admin/  <- That takes
you through a very in-depth compilation and installation procedure, of
which most you have probably had done for you if you installed it from
binary.  Still relevant though for setting up user accounts and access
permissions etc.

Lots more to say, but the postgresql website above is probably to best
place to point you so you don't miss anything.

Ryan