[plug] Ximian GNOME on woody

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.wattle.id.au
Tue Jan 29 10:48:25 WST 2002

John Breen wrote:

> Hey, has anyone succesfully managed to get Ximian GNOME to install on woody?

Yes.  It won't necessarily work on current woody but I have a 6-CD set woody
distro in stock that works perfectly with Ximian if you follow the right
procedures, which are:

(a) Install Ximian on potato
(b) Upgrade to woody using the CDs.
(c) If apt complains about anything in ximian, allow it to remove what
    it's complaining about.
(d) Edit /var/lib/dpkg/status and replace "libgnomeprint11" with
    "libgnomeprint15" whereever mentioned in the ximian packages.
(e) Reinstall using dpkg whatever you removed in step (c) above.
(f) From memory there are a couple of very minor conflicts in (e) above.
    If you don't need the conflicting packages (I didn't), remove them.

If you follow that procedure, everything from the recent copy of Ximian that I
have works, although warning, step (d) is a hack.

--
JEREMY MALCOLM <Jeremy at Malcolm.wattle.id.au> http://malcolm.wattle.id.au
Providing online networks of Australian lawyers (http://www.ilaw.com.au)