[plug] traffic requirements for woody mirror

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Thu Jan 31 11:49:15 WST 2002

At the PLUG meeting at UCC on Monday night I fetched most of the UWA debian
mirror and should be dropping back this afternoon to finish the job; given
a servicable motor car.

James B. let me use a very neat script using rsync to slurp the mirror from
UWA ftp and which I can use through my 56K dialup to (hopefully) keep my
mirror up to date. When Andrew says the mirror is 42GB, this is probably
all architectures (or does it include source?). The James B. cunning script
has a separate exclusion text file so I'm only getting the i386 parts of
the mirror; no source.

Total US and non-US mirror for i386 is currently 6.8GB which is a bit more
manageable.

If you want to go with this, I could probably connect up to your machine
with a crossover cable and drop the mirror across at 100mbits which would
be pretty swift.

If you want to maintain it you could ask James B. nicely for the use of his
script. If Andrew sees traffic of 500MB for the full 42GB mirror a quick
and dirty calculation suggests traffic will be 1/7 of 500 or about 70MB a
day; less that 4 hours at 56K. Is this a useful assumption .. anyone ?

All the best
Harry