[plug] vncserver and window managers

Ryan ryan at prodigital.net.au
Thu Jan 31 22:29:58 WST 2002

Howdy pluggers,

Been a few years since I've used vncserver in Linux and it has changed a bit :)

The problem is I get no window manager on the remote screen, just the plain
old X root window and a cursor.

/etc/vnc.conf the global config file has a variable $vncStartup which I
have set to "/etc/X11/Xsession" (and various other things).

None work and the only documentation I can find says the above should work,
or to specify commands to run on startup in ~/.vnc/xstartup - which is for
older versions of the server.

Any ideas?

Furthering this (assuming I get it working) - can programs running within
:0.0 locally be moved into VNC X sessions or is it possible for the local
:0.0 session to be 'shared' with a VNC session like MS Windoze does it?

Ryan