[plug] Society of Linux Professionals (WA) Inaugural Meeting

Patrick Tehvand patrick at localhost.localdomain
Mon Jul 1 17:10:21 WST 2002

I think the big distinction that the people that are opposed or fearful of a
professional body are failing to make is that PLUG is a User Group, It is
primarily (in my opinion) a coming together of people who use linux and
opensource software (whether it is professionally or as a hobby) to share
knowledge and experience. Where SLPWA should be a means for people who use
linux for business purposes or who support it in a professional capacity, to
network, gain assistance contractually, and to raise the profile of linux and
opensource in the eyes of government and commercial sectors.

At the moment most people see opensource as having no structure or regulation.
Like it or not, business and government want structure, accreditiation, and
regulation. I think long-term slpwa aims to provide that "seal" (think CPA)
for linux professionals, that business can trust. They want to know that if
they see an accreditiation or membership to an organisation that they will be
getting a minimum standard.

I am waffling now but I hope you get what I mean.

P.s. These statements are my own and if they are taken the wrong way they are
by no means approved by SLPWA or the SLPWA committee.

- gotta get that disclaimer in!