[plug] RH 7.3 login menu

Steege, Phil E phil.e.steege at lmco.com
Mon Jul 1 19:49:22 WST 2002

John

I got this from Google groups.  I haven't tried it myself, so you will have
to do it at your own risk.

You must do three things:
1) Install window manager packages. Most store the executable in
/usr/X11R6/bin  this path should be on your path.

2) Add the window Managers to the Login Manager. (Logged in as root)
    KDE Menu -> Settings -> Applications -. Login Manager
    Add the window managers to the selection list

3) Modify Xsession File
The file you must modify is:
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession
This script is called by kdm with the parameter being passed the window
manager
you choose from the start up screen.  Mine is below.  I moved the the check
for
Xresources to the begining then I added to the case statement the different
exec commands for the window managers.  If you move the check for .Xseesion
the front you give users a chance to override your window manager.  I would
do
this I would add a ase User Defined which the body of the case was the
xsession
code. that way if they break it. WM is uninstalled you can still get to
failsafe mode.

#!/bin/sh
# $XConsortium: Xsession /main/10 1995/12/18 18:21:28 gildea $

# redirect errors to a file in user's home directory if we can
for errfile in "$HOME/.xsession-errors" "${TMPDIR-/tmp}/xses-$USER"
"/tmp/xses-$USER"
do
 if ( cp /dev/null "$errfile" 2> /dev/null )
 then
  chmod 600 "$errfile"
  exec > "$errfile" 2>&1
  break