[plug] SLPWA and automatic PLUG membership

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Mon Jul 1 21:24:17 WST 2002

On Sun, 30 Jun 2002 17:10, Leon Brooks wrote:

> Amongst other things, PLUG has been fairly laid-back about asking people
> for membership dues, and has not clearly delineated the benefits of
> membership.

I beg to differ.  The FAQ
(http://plug.linux.org.au/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=1&categories=General+Information&parent_id=0#5)
clearly outlines the benefits as does this page:
http://www.plug.linux.org.au/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=6.
Admittedly both could be more specific about what having an account means. My
fault.  I wrote them.

The real problem lies in there not being a lot of tangible benefits.  We
still haven't gotten a membership card organised so we can canvas retailers
for discounts, or for that matter, a logo to put on t-shirts.  We could have
a much higher profile.  Really create a 'club' feel.  But so far we haven't
managed that.

Personally I blame Michael Hunt.  His viewing of Minority Report has
completely undermined PLUG's ability to function.  Shame Michael, shame. =)

> There was also SLPWA discussion of having an annual do with/for PLUG,
> sponsored (at least mostly) by SLPWA. A bbq was suggested, but it's far
> from being the only option; maybe a Christmas in July thing or crowd out
> some place like AdventureWorld one (warmer!) Sunday. I'd like to see
> discussion on that topic as well.

Good idea.  Is it too late to do something this year?  Say after Aug 5th?
Preferably something that will allow the families to get involved as well.  A
picnic in Sept/Oct (Lizzie's bday holiday?) is my suggestion.

skribe
--
Public key information available at:
http://www.amber.com.au/~skribe/publickey.html