[plug] Java missing for OpenOffice 1.0

Sacha Schlegel schlegel at curtin.edu.au
Thu Jul 4 08:21:33 WST 2002

Hi Phil

> I checked on the web and found a reference to a 14MB Java(TM) 2 Runtime
> Environment rpm that I found at java.sun.com ?
> Is this the file that is needed by OpenOffice?

Yes you need the Java Runtime Environment.

On debian you just apt-get install j2re1.3 (its also 13.6MB) and
probably the one you found is the correct one. There is version 1.4 of
Java if you get 1.4 thats fine as well.

IF you want to program with Java find the Java SDK (Software Development
Kit (on debian j2sdk1.3 (26MB!)) which includes the Java Runtime
Environment.

> I completed the installation without the Java, and it all runs fine.
> What am I missing by not having the Java package ?

I think you can install Java later and then set the path to the Java
binaries somewhere in the OpenOffice Options.

Sacha