[plug] Windoze XP licence question

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Jul 5 20:32:10 WST 2002

>>On a spare computer I installed windoze XP from the CD i got with the
>>laptop. After I couple days I cannot use windoze XP because I have not
>>registered (cannot login).
>>
>>My question (and I did not read the XP licence):
>>
>>a) If I register XP on this computer, can I later remove XP from this
>>computer and install and register XP on another computer?
>>

>No. IIRC, the MS licensing restricts you from moving machines like that -
>altho I dont know where the line is drawn with upgrades

Actually, this isn't _always_ true: I've encountered PCs shipped with
retail windows licences that _do_ allow this, but 99% of machines come
with OEM windows licences that may only be used with the machine they
were sold with. *sigh*.

>>Why not install Debian everywhere and be done with it?

Not always practical, sadly. In my case I still use win9x at home for
the odd times I want to do some gaming, and to use my windows-only
scanner. Aggrivating but there's nothing to be be done about it so far.

On the other hand I get by very well with nothing but Debian at work :-)

Question for the list btw: now that the woody security infrastructure is
in place, does anybody know what's holding up the release?