[plug] pc66 ram

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Jul 6 00:28:23 WST 2002

>t might pay dividends if you check out the voltage requirements of the RAM
>and compare it to the voltage options on the motherboard.
>
>If I remember correctly :
>
>66 MHz RAM likes 5 volts and 100 MHz & 133 MHz RAM likes 2.8 - 3.2 volts approx.
>Can somebody else confirm that for me please.

There is 5V PC66 RAM in the usual DIMM format, and there is 3.3V (?)
PC66 RAM in the same format. I think they're actually keyed differently
(those friendly notches in the DIMM's board), and so 5V PC66 won't fit a
3.3V slot, and vice versa. Your board could omit the keying "pin" (ridge
in the slot) if it wanted to support both I guess....

In general, for very old boards with DIMM slots you need to hit the
manual to find out what kind of RAM it wants. This is particularly
aggrivating when the manual refers to support for those new-fangled DIMM
things.... or at least provides so little info that you can't actually
find out what kind it needs, what sizes it supports, etc.