[plug] Missing inetd.conf

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Sat Jul 6 11:23:37 WST 2002

Jon Miller wrote:

>I was recently looking for my inetd.conf file to add a command to it and I noticed it does not exist.  Only the xinetd.conf.  Is it supposed to be there?  Isn't this one of the file the system uses when its booting up?
>
>Jon
>
>Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS
>Director/Sr Systems Consultant
>MMT Networks Pty Ltd
>http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au
>
>"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
> is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

inetd.conf belows to the inet daemon, which if you're using Red Hat 7.x,
is no longer used.  The replacement is xinetd.  It controls such basic
services as imap, pop3, telnet, ftp etc (look in /etc/xinetd.d/)..

So inetd.conf is not a general startup file, if you're looking for a
general startup file to stick some commands into that you want executed
at startup, look at rc.local .

/ Ben